Lawn is one of the areas which are also belonging as the exterior home beauty. Treating the lawn properly is the same with treating the exterior area of a house. In the lawn, we can have a lot of elements such as plants, trees or fences. However one important thing that needs to be treated continuously is the grass. Every lawn needs a proper mower to apply. Nowadays, you can use best zero turn mower so you will have not many time to cut off these grass. All the lawn size can be afforded well using this kind of mower.
So what is the difference of zero turn mower with the other mower? Well, as its name, the mower has a special features, design and engine that will have no chances of turn. It is possible because the engine is having two levers in the steering wheel. This item will control the wheel motors in the back of wheel. When it is turn on a dime, the grass will be cut of neatly and efficiently. It will surely keep up your time and your power to treat the lawn. If you are someone with limited time of home treatment, this mower is very good for you.
Adavantages of Zero Turn Mower
As one of the mower with special ability, zero turn mower is having some advantage, they are:
- Shorter Mowing Time, it happens because you just need to cut this yard once. You can use your time for another home treatment.
- Less and Efficient Fuel, you will know more needed to refill the fuel or recharge the battery because the mowing is over before these source of energy is over.
- Long Lasting, when the machine work less hard and less time, it means that the elements of engine will be less used. It will give you long lasting machine for sure.
Best Zero Turn Mower Reviews
If you are planning to buy one then here are the top 15 zero turn lawn mowers, you must look through:
Husqvarna z246 Zero Turn Mower is gasoline powered 23 HP engine. It has a superior cutting deck and its hydrostatic transmission requires little maintenance. An easy smart switch is another added plus.
Z-Beast 48ZB Zero Turn Riding Mower with Rollbar is powered by a 20 HP Briggs & Stratton Pro Engine and a 48-inch cutting deck. This mower is perfect for people with big gardens or farms because of its many attractive features which give quality cutting.
Husqvarna z254 Zero Turn Mower has a 54″ cutting deck and is yet another impressive zero turn mower from Husqvarna. A best seller on Amazon, this mower comes with a 24 HP twin engines, which give a powerful efficiency to this mower.
Troy-Bilt Mustang 50 Zero Turn Mower comes with a 24 HP engine from Briggs & Stratton and has a dual Hydro EZT Transmission. Now you can mow comfortably on an 18-inch-high back seat. The cutting deck comes with eight interchangeable heights for maximum efficiency.
Poulan Pro P46ZX Deck Zero Turn Riding Mower has a 46-Inch cutting deck with a ten-year warranty. It has a 22 HP twin engine from Briggs and Stratton, an electric clutch and hydro gear EZT transmission.
Troy-Bilt XP Zero Turn Mower is equipped with a professional turf engine by Briggs and Stratton and has a power of 25 HP. It has a sixty inch cutting deck that has an electric start for ease of operation. This mower surely packs a power punch with the combination of a superior engine and a large cutting deck.
Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc Wide Cut Lawn Mower has an electric start. It is meant for medium sized or smaller gardens, as it has a 33-inch cutting deck. It comes with a 420-cc engine by OHV and four moving speeds. An easy maneuverability saves times while mowing.
Husqvarna MZ52 Zero Turn Mower is a heavy-duty mower that comes with many features to improve its structural framework. It has a wide 52-inch-wide cutting deck with height adjustment, an efficient 25 HP engine and six-inch front casters with tough pneumatic tires.
Husqvarna Z246I Zero Turn Lawn Mower comes with a mowing air induction technology that improves grass lift and gives a smoother cutting. The strong framework increases the longevity and the zero turn transmissions help in easy maneuvre.
Experience superior Japanese technology with Swisher ZTR2454KA Response 24HP 54-Inch Kawasaki ZTR Mower. Its powerful engine, rapid control system and a hydro gear transmission makes it highly efficient in cutting grass in a short time.
Ariens Zoom 34 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ is a heavily built zero turn lawn mower. It might have a smaller cutting deck as compared to others but it powerful engines tell a different story. Its efficiency is uncompromised and so is its long durability.
Husqvarna Z246 Zero Turn Mower 967323903 twin engines of 23 HP and an electric clutch for easy operation. The presence of three anti scrap roller and a dual hydro transmission system further make things easier.
Ariens Zoom 42 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 42″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower is perfect for large or medium sized residential lawns. It has a forty two inch cutting deck and comes with a 19 HP engine from Kohler 6000 series.
Zoom 50 in. 22 HP Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin EZT Transaxles Zero-Turn Riding Mower will make your mowing even more comfortable with a presence of a high back seat. Its twin 22 HP engines and seven cutting heights make it highly efficient in mowing.
Considering about using the zero turn mowers is a brilliant idea. From the price, the zero mowers are really higher than the common one. However it will cut all of your costs including the maintenance cost, fuel costs, and many more. One product which is still considered to be bought by most consumers is Husqvarna MZ61. This mower is really impressive with its 61 inch of size. The overall strength that can be produced is around 27 horsepower. To gain better run, the engine is applying Hydrostatic gear transmission system. It also powered by using pedal assisted feature to make the cutting deck lift move more appropriately.
- Useful Article: The Ideal landscaping tool
What is a Zero-Turn Mower?
Zero-turn mower or z-turn is a lawn mower with no turning radius. This is made possible through controlling each drive wheel through a hydraulic speed control. They available for both residential and commercial uses with many manufacturers offering a multitude of varying options in them, like difference in engines, cutting decks, fuels, cost etc.
The common construction of most of the zero turn mowers is as follows: two small spinning forward-facing tires and two comparatively larger driving rear tires. Throttles or joysticks to control rotation, direction and speed instead of a typical steering wheel.
How Are They Different from Regular Lawn Mowers?
Riding mowers are very much different than zero turn mowers and the chief differences between them are:
- Zero turn mowers can turn a full 180 degrees from the same spot and therefore they do not have any turning angle. This is not possible with riding mowers.
- Zero turn mowers are more efficient as compared to regular lawn mowers in making sure that there are no spots are left.
- Regular lawn mowers are cheaper and easier to maintain but are less durable than zero turn.
- Zero turn mowers are more heavier and therefore regular mowers are more suitable for cutting in narrower spaces.
- Maneuverability is higher in Zero turn than regular mowers.
How do They Work?
In most cases, zero turn mowers steer through two handles that project from sides and extend till the back seat. The mower will move in the direction in which both the levers are pushed together. Turns are taken through pushing one of the lever with more force than the other. To make a z- turn, push one handle forward and the other backwards. In lay man terms, the working of zero turn mowers are similar to the movement of a shopping cart.
This operation requires a joystick or two levers and therefore the usage of the typical steering is not possible. However, few brands like Husqvarna have introduced zero turn mowers with steering wheels that have a different construction than regular steering wheels.
A Buying Guide
Choosing a zero-turn mower is not easy because of the tons of options available from different brands. If you are planning to buy your first zero turn mower or looking to replace your old one, then here are some points that you must pay heed to:
Mowers can be classified in different ways and in this section, you will learn how zero turn mowers are differentiated:
1. Grade: Grade is based on usage and size. This is how zero turn lawn mowers are classified majorly:
2. Entry Level Residential: These are the basic and the most cheapest zero turn mowers. They are ideal for medium sized or a smaller level planed lawn having no slopes, high terrains or any uneven path. Their average deck size is less than 45 inches and a horsepower less than 22 HP. Their price is anywhere between $**** to $****.
3. Heavy Duty Residential: These mowers can run on slopes less than 10 degrees and are the most preferred ones for medium or a little larger sized residential lawn. They are easy to maneuvre and are more durable. Their average deck size is more than 45 inches and they use a horsepower of more than 25 HP. They lie on a price bracket of $****-$****.
4. Commercial: Commercial grade mowers are used mainly by professional landscapers for large lawns and are suitable for regular use. They work better on slopes less than 10 degrees as compared to residential and have a cutting deck of 60 inches or more. They use a horsepower of more than 30 HP and are highly durable. They lie on a price bracket of $****- $****.
5. Industrial: They are the most efficient, durable and high-end mowers of all grade types. Industrial grade types mowers are very expensive but give better results than all kind of mowers. They are heavily used for commercial use by professionals. They have a cutting deck of 60 inches or more and run on a horsepower of 30-35 HP. They will cost higher than **** dollars.
Type is based on the form of control the mower has for movement.
1. Levers: The most common setting present in all zero type mowers. They consist of two handle bars extending from the sides to the back seat. For example: Husqvarna Z246 967271501 46″ 20HP Briggs and Stratton Zero Turn Lawn Mower
2. Steering wheel: A non-typical steering wheel is attached with an axle. The control function is similar to regular steering wheels.
3. Joystick: A single joystick is moved in different directions to move the mower.
Deck size is one of the most important things to look out for while buying a zero-turn mower. Here are the main deck size variations present in different zero turn lawn mowers:
1. 33 to 41: Ideal for working on small lawns. For example: Troy-Bilt WC33 420cc 33-inch Wide Cut RWD Lawn Mower.
2 .42 to 46: Perfect for lawns greater than 1-2 acres. For example: Poulan Pro P46ZX Briggs V-Twin Pro 22 HP Cutting Deck Zero Turn Radius Riding Mower.
3. 48 to 54: Used for lawns greater than 2 acres. For example: Zoom 50 in. 22 HP Kohler 7000 Series V-Twin EZT Transaxles Zero-Turn Riding Mower.
4. 60 to 61: Mainly used by professional landscapers for estate lawns or commercial uses. For example: Troy-Bilt XP 25HP 60-Inch FAB Deck Zero Turn Mower.
The size chart below will help you find what deck size and speed combination will give a productivity in acres per hour.
For example, if you have a 21-inch deck size and operate it at the speed of 2mph, you will be able to cut grass of 0.35 acres in one hour.
Features to Look For
While buying a zero-turn mower, here are the main features that you need to look out for:
- Deck: There are two types of deck available-fabricated and stamped. Fabricated type decks are more tough, tackle obstacles more and are more durable in general. But they are also expensive, and require additional accessories like a mulching kit. In comparison, Stamped decks are meant for an obstacle free lawn, are cheaper and have a smoother cutting.
- Type of Engine: Some of the trusted brands who provide engines for zero turn mowers are Briggs and Stratton, Kawasaki and Kohler. They all come in different horsepower, with the common being in the range of 20 -25 HP.
- Durability: Zero turn mowers have a better durability than regular mowers because of their heavy built. Check the deck material and construction in general to gauge the durability of the mower. For example, if the deck is made of steel, then it will increase its longevity.
- Adjustable Cutting Height: The cutting deck should come in adjustable cutting heights for better efficiency. The adjustment setting should be easier to operate, like with a simple push button or through a lever. One example is Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower, which comes in about eight adjustable heights.
- Type of Wheels: The Z-turn depends a lot on the quality of the wheels. Precision, durability and size are some of the things to look for in both front and back wheels. Also, it is preferable to buy mowers with a set of four wheels and big, rough rear wheels.
- Operation Ease: Look for features which will make operation easier for you. If you are a beginner, then it is sensible to buy a mower with easy controls. A steering wheel for example is the easiest one to operate. Feature overload is good only if you know how to operate the mower.
If you are short of time and can’t go through all the options available then look for the following brands. These are the best companies manufacturing zero turn mowers and it are guaranteed to satisfy your mowing needs:
- Husqvarna: Husqvarna is an Austrian based company, known mostly for their motorcycles but they produce some excellent lawn mowers too. Their zero turn mowers are equipped with superior engines, are generally commercial grade and have a strong, durable built. Their zero turn mowers not only have performance based features but also have a high focus on safety. Husqvarna Z254 967324101 V-Twin 724 cc Zero Turn Mower is a bestselling mower on Amazon in this category.
- Ariens: Ariens was established in the year 1933 and has been producing high quality lawn mowers. It prides itself as being the official mower for the gardens of White House itself. Apart from lawn related products, it is also widely popular for manufacturing snow tractors. Ariens Zoom 34 – 19hp Kohler 6000 Series V-Twin 34″ Zero Turn Lawn Mower is one of their top selling product.
- Troy-Bilt: Troy Bilt is the subsidiary of MTD Products and has been producing lawn related products since 1932. Their Zero turn mowers are known for their performance, powerful engines and durability. They produce both residential and industrial grade products. One example of their bestselling products is Troy-Bilt Mustang 46 22HP 46-Inch Zero-Turn Mower.
Many attachments can make your zero-turn mower even better than before. These accessories include:
- Bagging System: This will allow you to clean up faster by collecting grass clippings at the same simultaneously with your mowing.
- Mulching Kit: A mulching kit will help you to mulch the trimmings back in the lawn and prevent sideways grass discharge.
- Others: There are an endless option in attachments that could be used according to your needs. Do consult your manufacturer about what can be used in your mower. Some common accessories are: plug aerator, lawn detacher, spreader, sprayer etc.
Regular maintenance is one of the key features in keeping your mower as good as new. Here are some things to pay heed to:
1. Cutting Blades: The cutting blades need to sharpened if they are blunt after continuous use. Blunt blades will not only be unable to cut grass properly but in most cases, might also describe the quality of healthy grass. So, keep your blades sharpened at all times.
2. Greasing: Consult the instruction manual to know which points require greasing at regular time intervals, moving parts many become jammed, affecting the working of your mower of greasing is not done properly.
3. Cleaning: Regular cleaning is required to not only keep your cutting deck in a good shape but to also maintain your mower’s efficiency. Small grass clippings should be removed from the cutting deck before storing your mower. Dissemble your mower at intervals to check and clean.
4. Inspection: Consult your mower’s safety manual to know the inspection time period. Many mowers require a complete inspection check every three months, depending upon the usage. The safety manual will give you a detailed idea about your mower’s maintenance schedule.
Like almost every machine on earth, even zero turn mowers require some safety measures to avoid unfortunate accidents. Therefore, here are some things to keep in mind while operating zero turn mowers for your own safety:
- Slopes: Every zero-turn mower, without exception is not recommended for mowing areas with slopes greater than 10 degrees. Zero turn mowers have a heavy rear backside and therefore riding it uphill will cause it to topple over (blame it one gravity). Riding downhill is also tricky because controlling your vehicle and tackling the sudden increase in speed is not easy.
Use a walk-in mower for slopes and avoid zero turn mowers.
- Blockages: Zero turn mowers have strong cutting decks but they are efficiency is limited to only grass. You can’t expect your blades to zap through stones, small trees or any solid obstacle present in your lawn. Be careful of removing anything remotely not close to ‘grass’ before mowing.
- Manual: This is important mainly because many of us never bother to read the instruction manual. You might know a lot of things but it is still better to go through the manufacturer’s manual because there is a very valid reason for its existence. Every product has a different feature and it is not common sense to assume every safety manual will have the same things. For your safety, read the manual before starting any kind of operation on your zero-turn mower.
Zero turn mowers not only reduce the time spent on mowing but are also long lasting. They are the first choice for almost all professional landscapers and are readily available on Amazon. Except California, they can be shipped, free of cost to all states of America. Most of them come with a three-year warranty period, which can be extended by paying an additional fee.