How to find the perfect spot in the backyard?
A backyard garden allows you to experiment with out of bounds flora that you cannot think of doing in your front yard. You can experiment with new plants and climbers; turn your backyard into a fairyland with lots and lots of flowers or into a calming and soothing place. It could also be used as a testing area for testing how a certain plant looks around a specific background. Those plants which pass the “testing area” could be moved to your terrace or front yard without giving another thought! While a garden would look good anywhere, but if it is at the “visual sweet spot” in your backyard then it can get your house a perfect 10. So, first decide which type of garden you wish to have: A shade garden or a typical under-the-sun garden?
A shade garden, as the name suggests, is the one which contains plants that do not need much sunlight for their growth; And it also has all kinds of different colored plants. So a shade garden would be a better choice for places where the backyard is attached to some tall building, house, humongous trees or construction and the place doesn’t get any detectable sunlight during the day.
And the other type is self-explanatory. Period. There are basically no bounds to this regular type as you could turn it into any kind of garden, from a combination of colorful flower beds to a lush green vegetable garden.
To find the “sweet-spot”, find a place with an unrestrained flow of air and which would not halt the passage, like along back wall. Also keeping it away from electric meters or any equipment with a fire hazard is a safe practice. If you went with the shade garden, then choose a dry place as the plants will also add the moisture around themselves. For regular gardens, any place that feels and looks pretty would work. Just pay attention to the air flow, looks and lighting, that’s it.
Some additional suggestions:
- Create boundaries along the edges of your garden. This won’t just make it look beautiful but will also separate the garden from the lawn and will also save the plants from that accidental step-on
- Add mood lighting to your garden to enhance the aura of the garden. Choose color changing LEDs over regular bulbs as you would be able to change the lighting of the garden from a fancy party lighting to a dim lit romantic ambiance within a split second! It would also add flavor to your relationship and will give you and your partner a place to bond together.
- Keep a check on weeds and pests; there are many weedicides and pesticides available in the market out there.
- Although you won’t need fertilizers unless you’re planning to plant a vegetable or fruit garden but still keep a check on the quality of the soil at least once a year.
- Try various types of flower beds like suspended, hanging, vertical etc. on or along the walls and trees for additional decorating.
The final advice is just to be imaginative as there are no bounds to human imagination. Try anything and everything that pops up in your mind. You will make mistakes but this is just a garden, not a war, you could easily tweak those little errors out and turn your backyard into a super-stunning garden.